Buffalo Chickpea Salad is great when you want a meatless lunch. It has all the flavors of buffalo wings, only so much healthier!
Buffalo Chickpea Salad
This spicy Chickpea Salad is made with canned chickpeas tossed in a creamy, spicy buffalo sauce made with Greek yogurt, Frank’s Red Hot, lemon juice, and Tahini. The chickpeas are then topped with crunchy carrots and celery and sharp, tangy blue cheese. Buffalo flavor is one of my favorites, and I have tons of buffalo recipes on my site. I also love chickpea salad! For variations try my Chickpea Salad with Cucumbers and Tomatoes, Chickpea Avocado Salad, or my Greek Chickpea Salad.
You can toss just about anything with buffalo sauce and it will be delicious! This buffalo chickpea salad is easy to make and inexpensive. It’s great for meal prep and easy to double it if you want leftovers.
How To Meal Prep
To meal prep, cook the chickpeas, add in the carrots and celery, and cover the mixture in sauce. Squeeze lemon juice over the remaining carrots and celery. Store the chickpeas and vegetables in separate containers and refrigerate for up to four days.
How to Serve
The serving possibilities are endless with this buffalo chickpea salad. I love it over lettuce to make wraps, but you can eat it so many ways.
- Lettuce Wraps. Wrap in lettuce – kind of like a salad you can eat with your hands.
- Tortilla Wraps. Make a buffalo chickpea wrap using your favorite tortilla.
- Sandwich – Sandwich between your favorite whole grain bread.
- Appetizer – Use as a dip with tortilla chips or raw veggies, like bell pepper strips and cucumber slices.
- Right out of the fridge. Eat it as is with a spoon.
- Make it a Bowl! Make a buffalo chickpea bowl and serve over brown rice or quinoa and add in veggies, like cherry tomatoes and avocados.
- The blue cheese is traditional but can be easily omitted or swapped out for something milder, like gorgonzola if it’s not your thing.
- Make this salad dairy-free by using dairy-free yogurt and omitting the cheese.
More Buffalo Recipes You’ll Love:
Buffalo Chickpea Salad
- 15- oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup diced carrots, divided (1 large carrots)
- 1/3 cup diced celery, divided (about 1 large stalks), plus celery leaves for garnish
- 3 Tbsp Frank’s Red Hot Original
- 1 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp plus 1/2 tsp lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 Tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese, optional
- Romaine or Bibb leaves for serving
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil.
Once it begins to shimmer, add the chickpeas, spreading them in a single layer, and let cook undisturbed for 1 to 2 minutes, or until they brown a bit.
Stir, add the garlic and salt, and cook for a minute more.
Transfer the chickpeas to a large bowl and add 1/4 cup carrots and 1/4 cup celery.
Fold in the Frank’s, yogurt, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, and tahini; stir gently until combined.
In a separate bowl, toss the remaining diced celery and carrots with the remaining 1/2 tsp lemon juice and set aside.
To serve the chickpeas, top them with blue cheese (if using), the reserved celery and carrots, and a big handful of celery leaves. Scoop the salad onto a lettuce leaf, wrap, and dig in.
Serving: 1/6 of recipe, Calories: 222kcal, Carbohydrates: 27g, Protein: 10.5g, Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g, Cholesterol: 9mg, Sodium: 978mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 2.5g
Blue Smart Points: 3
Green Smart Points: 6
Purple Smart Points: 3