Chicken Piccata is an Italian chicken dish made with pounded chicken breast in a lemon-wine butter sauce with capers and parsley.
If you’re looking for more ways to make chicken breast exciting, you’ll love this Chicken Piccata recipe. Rather than using a ton of butter and oil, my dish uses much less oil and just a touch of butter. The flavor is so good that you won’t miss it! My daughter, who loves anything with lemon, really loves this dish. If you want to try this chicken piccata recipe with fish, try Flounder Picatta.
What is Chicken Piccata?
Chicken Piccata is an Italian dish made with capers in a lemon butter sauce. Although it’s not always breaded, we love this version inspired by Ina Garten’s Chicken Piccata.
How To Make Chicken Piccata
What to Serve with Chicken Piccata
- Pair it with a side of rice, roasted asparagus or broccoli, or a simple salad.
- If you serve over pasta, you may want to double the sauce so there’s extra to coat the noodles.
- Protein: Swap the chicken for boneless pork chops or white fish.
- Breadcrumbs: Switch out whole wheat breadcrumbs for panko or gluten-free breadcrumbs. If you can’t find seasoned, you can season plain breadcrumbs with Italian herbs and spices, like onion and garlic powder and dried basil, oregano, and thyme.
- Wine: If you don’t like to cook with wine, swap it for chicken broth, or buy a single-serving bottle of wine. You can also freeze leftover wine in ice cube trays to have on hand for future recipes.
- Butter: If you’re allergic to butter, swap it with ghee, vegan butter or olive oil.
- Eggs: If you can’t eat eggs, coat the chicken in dijon mustard before covering it with breadcrumbs.
More Italian Chicken Recipes You’ll Love:
Chicken Piccata is an Italian chicken dish served in a lemon, wine, butter sauce with capers and parsley.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 16 oz total
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup seasoned whole wheat dry bread crumbs
- olive oil spray, about 1 tbsp worth
- 1 tbsp whipped butter
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp capers
- Sliced lemon, for serving
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves, for serving
Cut chicken into 4 cutlets, then place cutlets between 2 sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap and pound out to 1/4-inch thick. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
In a shallow plate, beat the egg whites and 1 teaspoon of water together.
Place the bread crumbs in another plate. Dip each chicken breast first in the egg, then bread crumbs.
Heat a large saute pan over medium to medium-low heat.
Spray a generous amount of olive oil spray on one side of the chicken, and lay it in the pan, oil side down.
Spray the top of the chicken generously to coat and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until cooked through. Set aside until you make the sauce.
For the sauce, clean the saute pan. Over medium heat, melt butter, add the lemon juice, wine, chicken broth and the reserved lemon halves, salt, and pepper.
Boil over high heat until reduced in half, about 2 minutes.
Discard the lemon halves, add the capers and serve one chicken cutlet on each plate.
Spoon on the sauce and serve with a slice of lemon and a sprinkling of fresh parsley.
Air Fryer Method:
To cook the chicken in the air fryer, pre-heat the air fryer 370F. Cook 5 to 6 minutes, turning halfway until crisp and golden and cooked through.
Serving: 1piece of chicken, Calories: 262kcal, Carbohydrates: 11.5g, Protein: 30g, Fat: 9.5g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g, Cholesterol: 88mg, Sodium: 233.5mg, Fiber: 1.5g, Sugar: 0.5g
Keywords: chicken breast recipes, Chicken Picatta, chicken picatta recipe, what is chicken picatta