“Records of my stock purchase have disappeared. What now?”

Photo by Maria Lupan on Unsplash

Q. I purchased a stock 15-plus years ago on the TSX Venture Exchange, through a brokerage firm. That firm changed company names multiple times since the purchase. When I went to sell the deadbeat stock last fall, the fourth or fifth incarnation of the company had no records of my purchase and told me to look in my records. Many moves and a flood later, I do not have those records.

I suffered a loss in the particular stock and would like to apply it to gains this year, but I have no documentation of the transactions. I have emailed a few different folks at the TSX but no one has responded. How can I get a complete history of my stock transactions on this exchange? The stock was held in a non-registered account.

A. Even though brokerage firms should keep accurate records of stock purchases, sales, reinvested dividends and stock splits, it is important to note the fine print. Statements and transaction reports, including those sent out to summarize annual capital gains and losses for tax purposes, often state that book values may not be accurate.

Ultimately, it is incumbent upon a taxpayer to maintain their own records. This is why brokerage firms used to mail out transaction slips to investors when they bought or sold a stock. I can attest firsthand to seeing inaccurate book values on statements and transaction summaries.

Some brokerage firms can go back and dig up historical records, potentially for a fee, but with multiple mergers along the way, I can imagine your purchase records no longer exist at the brokerage, Tonya.

When you file your tax return, you report your capital gains and losses on non-registered investments on Schedule 3—Capital Gains (or Losses). You report your proceeds of disposition (sale price) and your adjusted cost base (purchase price with any applicable adjustments). You do not have to send documentation of your adjusted cost base, but you do need to be reasonably confident and able to justify your adjusted cost base (ACB) if Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) asks you to do so.

If you know when you bought the shares, you may be able to go back and determine the stock price at that time using information from the company, the TSX or financial websites. The number of shares you own may have changed along the way if the company did a stock split or reverse split, if there was a merger where you received cash or shares of a new company, if there were reinvested dividends (unlikely), etc.

Another alternative is to try to determine how much you originally invested. Presumably, you have a rough idea of the dollar value of your initial investment from 15 years ago. If you can rule out whether there were any mergers that resulted in you receiving cash or shares along the way, you can reasonably assume that your initial investment is your adjusted cost base for tax purposes.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)

Follow by Email2k
A note to our visitors

This website has updated its privacy policy in compliance with changes to European Union data protection law, for all members globally. We’ve also updated our Privacy Policy to give you more information about your rights and responsibilities with respect to your privacy and personal information. Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our updated privacy policy.