Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are perfect thick, chewy chocolate chip cookies that are made even better with the unique flavor of browned butter. These are the BEST tasting cookies EVER!
Browned Butter is a special ingredient that makes every sweet a little bit more special. Try it in these other recipes, Browned Butter Snickerdoodles, Brown Butter M&M Cookies, and Maple Cookies with Brown Butter Frosting
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Brown butter just makes every cookie recipe better. It gives them a caramelly, nutty flavor that is to die for! Combined with chocolate and a chewy soft center. These will reinvent your chocolate chip cookie forever.
I think that this might just be the best cookie recipe that I have tried! I like when cookie recipes stay soft and chewy after you bake them for days after. They were perfect! I know that you will love them too!
Brown Butter Cookie Ingredients
They cookies take a classic favorite to a whole new level!
- Butter: Use unsalted butter
- Flour: All purpose will work
- Baking Soda: The leavening agent
- Coarse Sea Salt: Creates pockets of saltiness
- Brown Sugar: Light or dark will both work
- Sugar: White granulated
- Egg: Make sure the Egg is large
- Egg Yolk: Adds extra moisture
- Vanilla: Adds classic sweetness and flavor
- Plain Yogurt: Creates the essential moisture lost by browning the butter.
- Chocolate Chips: Semi sweet, dark, milk, chunk or a mixture of chocolate works
How to Bake Brown Buttered Chocolate Chip Cookies
There is nothing better than a gooey chewy warm out of the oven chocolate chip cookie. Brown butter just makes every cookie recipe better. They were perfect
- Butter: Cut the butter in piece and place in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisking constantly allow the butter to brown. Remove from heat and let cool to room temp.
- Mix: Whisk the flour, baking soda, and sea salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine: In a mixer combine sugars and brown butter, blend until smooth. Add in the egg, egg yolk, vanilla and yogurt
- Fold: Next fold in the flour mixture into the wet. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Chill: Cover and place in refrigerate for at least 30 min.
- Bake: On a baking sheet lined with parchment scoop the dough out by tablespoons about 2 inches apart and bake for 10-12 min. in a 350 degree oven.
How to Make Brown Butter Successfully
Browning butter is quite simple but you do have to be careful you don’t burn it. Make it on the stovetop and wait for the nutty aroma to fill your home.
- Light colored pan: If you have it, use a light colored pan. This will help you see when the butter is browned. This will help you tell the difference between browned and burnt.
- Stir: Continue to stir as it melts and watch as it turns to an amber color and smells nutty. Then it’s done.
- Remove: To keep it from continuing to cook, quickly remove from heat and pour into a heat-proof bowl. Make sure to scrape all the dark brown bits from the bottom. Those are the flavor makers.
- Moisture: When you brown butter, you get incredible flavor but you do lose moisture. That’s why adding yogurt, or milk is necessary.
Tips for the Best Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chill: It is so important to chill cookie dough. It ensures a thicker cookie and a more intense flavor. It will also heighten the buttery caramel flavor of the browned butter.
- Nuts: Add chopped nuts for added texture.
- Sea Salt: The sea salt creates these pockets of saltiness that balances the sweetness, you can add up to 1 teaspoon of the sea salt.
- Yogurt: Seems weird but it’s necessary since the browned butter loses moisture, so this replaces it.
- Storage: Keep cookies in a fresh in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Freeze: You can freeze precooked cookie dough for cookies later. Just roll out and freeze for 30 min. Then transfer to a freezer safe bag, they’ll keep for up to 3 months.
- Freeze Cooked Cookies: Cool completely then place in a freezer safe bag and keep for up to 3 months.
More Browned Butter Recipes to Fall in Love With
Browned butter makes everything taste better!
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 12 minutes
Total Time 27 minutes
Servings 24 Cookies
Perfect chocolate chip cookies are made even better with brown butter!
coarse sea salt
light brown sugar
I used Greek yogurt
semisweet chocolate chips
I used jumbo
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the butter in pieces and place in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisking frequently allow the butter to brown. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and sea salt. Set aside,
In your mixer, combine sugars and brown butter. Blend until smooth. Add the egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and yogurt.
Next, mix in the dry ingredients. Fold in the chocolate chips until incorporated. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
On a non-stick baking sheet, or lined with parchment paper, scoop the dough out by tablespoons about 2 inches apart.
Bake until golden brown in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.
Updated on October 27, 2020
Originally Posted on July 28, 2013
Calories212kcal (11%)Carbohydrates26g (9%)Protein2g (4%)Fat11g (17%)Saturated Fat7g (35%)Cholesterol36mg (12%)Sodium118mg (5%)Potassium72mg (2%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar16g (18%)Vitamin A261IU (5%)Calcium19mg (2%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.