Unicorn Chex Mix [A Fun, Cheerful Snack Recipe]
Unicorn everything is very trendy these days and why not? We could all use something pretty that evokes feel good emotions! So here is a recipe for Unicorn Chex Mix. It features pink, blue, and purple, sprinkles, and unicorn horns. This cheerful snack mix is loaded with tasty sweet flavors balanced with some saltiness and there is plenty of crunch. This is a super fun Chex party mix for any occasion. From unicorn party food to movie night snacks, it is sure to be a hit. Making these unicorn snacks is just as much fun as it is to look at and to eat them. My kids and I made it together and it is basically a fun, edible craft project!
This is the official Unicorn Chex Mix recipe as it was shared with me by the folks at General Mills. Thanks to Chex Cereal for the delivery of the ingredients for this fun unicorn recipe.
Unicorn Chex Mix Recipe
First you will want to gather up all your ingredients. These unicorn snack mix ingredients are perfect for making exactly what you see pictured in this post. However, feel free to make substitutions or vary it a bit according to your flavor preferences.
Chex Cereal – You will want to use either Rice Chex or Corn Chex according to your taste preferences. They are both gluten free and they both provide that crunchy texture we love in snacks. We used Corn Chex.
Bugles- These “finger hat” snacks are the perfect shape for the unicorn horns. You will want to pull out the unbroken ones for the best looking unicorn horns.
White Chocolate Chips- These will form the base coating over the Chex for a layer of sweetness. They will also form the base coating over the Bugles so that the decorating sugar will stick and make pretty colored unicorn horns.
Gold Color Mist Shimmering Food Color Spray- You can find this in the baking aisle with the sprinkles. It is pretty and fun. It is also very optional because the gold color is more sparkly than the plain corn Chex but they are pretty gold anyway.
Candy Melts- These get melted to drizzle over the coated Chex. These candy melts are easiest but you could also use extra white chocolate chips with food coloring to create your own colored drizzle. We only used pink and blue because it seemed like enough drizzle to use but you could use purple too!
Decorating Sugars- These will be used to make your unicorn horns the colors you desire.
Sprinkles- These will be sprinkled over the Chex mix color drizzles for extra pops of color and cheer.
Marshmallows- If you can find the multicolored pastel rainbow twist marshallow from Yummalo, they are pretty cute and fun but white mini marshmallows will be just as yummy if you need to substitute!
How To Make These Unicorn Snacks
We made the unicorn horns first on one baking tray covered with parchment. We picked out full horns and then dipped them in melted white chocolate. I placed three small bowls on the tray and then poured the sugar over the horns. Once there was enough sugar in the bowls, I just laid them down on the sugar and rolled them. Then we placed them on the parchment to dry.
Next, we coated the Chex lightly by pouring the melted white chocolate into a bowl of the Chex and stirring. We poured that out onto a second baking tray covered in parchment paper and spread out as evenly as possible to dry. Once it was firmed up, we sprayed it with the gold. Then, we drizzled it with the melted candy melts. Finally, we all added our favorite sprinkles!
Next, in a large serving bowl we mixed the dried unicorn horns and dried Chex with the cut up marshmallow pieces. Ready to serve!
I portioned some of the homemade Unicorn Chex Mix out into individual bowls that were already filled half full with plain corn Chex because we prefer to cut back on the sugar a bit. It was still quite a sweet treat that we all enjoyed!
We put the rest away in a glass canister for easy unicorn snacks during the week since we weren’t actually having a unicorn party!
Printable Recipe For Unicorn Chex Mix
Cheerful party mix! This unicorn Chex mix is sweet with a bit of salty and a lot of crunch. Yum.
- 6 cups Rice Chex or Corn Chex cereal
- 3 cups HERSHEY’S Premier White Creme Chips (from two 12 oz bags)
- 1.5 cups Bugles corn snacks
- 1/4 cup each of pink, blue, and/or purple decorating sugar
- gold color mist shimmering food color spray
- 1/4 cup each of pink, blue, and/or purple candy melts
- 3 tablespoons multicolored pastel sprinkles
- 1 cup Yummalo jumbo rainbow twist marshmallow, cut into half and then into 2 inch pieces
- Line 2 large rimmed baking pans with waxed paper. In large bowl, add cereal.
- In small microwaveable bowl, microwave 1 cup of the baking chips uncovered on high 45 seconds, stir. Continue microwaving in 15 second increments, stirring after each, until chips are melted and can be stirred smooth. One at a time, dip pointed end of each corn snack into melted chips, and coat outside comepletely, allowing excess coating to drip off. (If necessary, reheat mixture 5 seconds at a time as needed for dipping consistency.) Sprinkle coated snacks with decorating sugar and place on one of the pans in single layer; set aside.
- Add remaining 2 cups baking chips to bowl with remaining melted chips; microwave uncovered on high 25 seconds; stir. Continue microwaving in 15 second increments, stirring after each, until chips are melted and can be stirred smooth. Pour onto cereal in bowl; mix thoroughly to coat. Transfer mixture to one of the pans in single layer. Let stand 20 minutes to harden. Spray top with gold food color spray.
- In small microwaveable bowl, add pink candy melts. Microwave uncovered on Medium (50%) 30 seconds, then in 15 second increments, until melted; stir until smooth. Using fork, drizzle melted candy melts. (Use separate microwavable bowl for each color candy melts.) Add sprinkles to the coated Chex to your liking. Let stand 20 minutes or until drizzle is set. Carefully separate into bite size pieces.
- In large serving bowl, mix coated cereal, corn snacks, and marshmallow candy pieces. Store at room temperature in covered container.
I hope you enjoy this Unicorn Chex Mix! If you use it as a unicorn party food, I’d love to see your photos. Share them with @familyfocusblog and/or #familyfocusblog!
Christmas Chex Mix Recipe- Festive and Delicious
Brownie Puppy Chow Chex Mix Recipe